What is trojan
Trojans are programs that present a type of viruses. The main difference from viruses is virus purpose is to infect the system and to spread by all means and to destruct everything and anything, but trojans purpose is to quiet and peacefully install and to collect the information about the infected system, and then to send it back to its creator.
How trojans penetrate the system
Trojan horse software penetrates the computer by different ways, but the most common is by the installation of programs or browsing files. Also you can get a simple spam message to your email that will contain a link or there will be attached a file with touting name and you will follow it and you will se a picture. Yes, you can get a trojan even by a picture.
There exist a great number of trojan types, but let’s consider the main ones:
- Spyware – the most widespread trojan horse software. They look in the system all saved passwords and send them to its creator (usually by email) straightaway;
- BackDoor – a second type of trojans according to the occurrence. The point is that this trojan opens any port on the computer and sends data to its creator;
- Keyloggers – the third trojan type according to the popularity. Due to its name it is possible to guess that they tap all pressings on the keyboard and send this data to its creator;
- Downloader – download from the internet every cruft in its discretion. Usually it’s viruses.
- Droppers – download into the system other trojans;
- Joke Programs – display that the computer will be restarted now, or that all the information will be sent to someone, or that the computer was hacked and so on. In fact they are harmless and are created for fun;
- Destructive Trojans – the angriest and the most disgusting trojans. They break the system, encore data, destroy the whole fixed-disk partitions and so on.
How to protect yourself and to remove trojans
All these methods of protection are well-known, however, let’s consider them again:
- Use antivirus and update it regularly;
- use and update firewalls as well;
- update your operating system with the update mode;
- don’t work very often as an Administrator. If trojan will be in the system, it will work with an account with limited rights;
- download software only from official sites. In case of urgency, from trusted sources;
- don’t visit unknown and suspicious sites with lots of advertisement;
- don’t save passwords on important sites. It is better to enter in manually or to copy it from another file.